Dr. Barbara Winter is a Licensed Psychologist and Clinical Sexologist (Diplomate) since 1988. She holds certifications in Sex Therapy, Sex-Addiction Therapy (CSAT), Multiple-Addiction Therapy (CMAT), Eye-Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), Hypnosis, Group Therapy, Discernment Counseling, and Telehealth. She is a fellow and clinical supervisor of the American Board of Sexology. She has post-graduate training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, Parenting Coordination, Divorce Mediation, and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. She has been in private practice in Boca Raton since 1990.
Her specialties include Sex Therapy, Couples Counseling and Marital Therapy, Sex and Process Addictions (sex, food, money), Trauma Recovery, Divorce and Co-parent counseling and Grief and Loss. She has expertise in treating compulsive behaviors and addictions (substance and process−including food, sex and love, gambling, money/work, hoarding, shopping); infidelity, betrayal and all sexual disorders and aspects of sexuality; eating disorders; trauma and dissociation and abuse recovery; anxiety and mood disorders; family issues; separation, divorce, step-parenting, co-parenting and other life transitions; LGBTQ issues; transgender; grief recovery and personality disorders.
In addition to practicing traditional methods of psychodynamic therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, systems therapy, psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and group therapy, Dr. Winter has specialized advanced training in cutting-edge and empirically-based EMDR (certified), hypnotherapy, mindfulness, emotionally focused therapy and is certified in treating sex and process addictions. She is a trained parenting coordinator and mediator.
Her Areas of Specialty Are:
When asked what types of problems she treats, Dr. Winter responds that she treats people, not problems. Regardless of what symptoms you have had or are currently experiencing, no two people are alike nor can the treatment be the same for both. Given this, she firmly believes that a comprehensive base of psychology, including family systems, the medical model, psychodynamic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy models as well as state-of-the-art interventions and a firm knowledge base in relationships, couples and sex therapy are required to assist you in your journey into health and transformation.
There are, nevertheless, particular ingredients that transcend the uniqueness of your stories. These include a climate of safety, non-judgment, sensitivity, empathy, and confidentiality. It is her agenda to not only help you untangle your distressing symptoms but to help you make meaning of your experience.
Celebrating 30 years this year in practice, there is little that Dr. Winter has not seen. She has worked with individuals and couples with a disparity in sexual and relationship issues. Within the therapist-patient frame, it is her goal to guide you toward greater authenticity and self-acceptance.
Through the examination of the self and the pain-points that accompany each and every one of us, we identify the extent to which the past is showing up as a neurotic compromise and to solve the challenges of today.
Dr. Winter has spoken on local and state levels on issues related to managed mental healthcare and participates in a variety of community activities. She has spoken at local hospitals, schools, and community groups and has been an adjunct college professor. She is the past president of the Palm Beach chapter of the Florida Psychological Association as well as Insurance and Hospital practice chair. She was instrumental in the inauguration of Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW) and the Palm Beach County mandatory course for divorcing parents. She is committed to providing a high-quality service to all of her patients.
More recently Dr. Winter has been a guest blogger for Psych Central, The Good Men Project, SexandRelationshipHealing.com and featured many times as a local expert in the Boca Raton Observer, Boca Magazine and other national and online publications. Please check out her work as a media consultant.
Dr. Winter is dedicated to helping people achieve personal growth and improve their “emotional, sexual and spiritual health”, increase their capacity to engage in effective interpersonal relationships and procure the tools necessary to live their best life.
- Psychologist, Florida – PY4034, 1988
- PhD in Clinical Psychology, Nova Southeastern University, 1986
- Post-Doctoral Internship, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1987
- Clinical Hypnosis, Miami Institute of Clinical Hypnosis, Dr. Steven Warner, 1992
- Diplomate in Clinical Sexology, American Academy Clinical Sexology, 1996
- Fellow and Clinical Supervisor of Sexology, American Board of Sexology, 1996
- EMDR I and II, Dr. Francine Shapiro, 2007
- Parenting Coordination Training, Dr. Debra Carter, 2010
- Mediation Training, Mediation Training Center, Perry Itkin, 2011
- Gottman Institute Professional Training, Level 1: Couples Therapy, Dr. William Burnberry, 2012
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, ICEEFT, Dr. Sue Johnson, 2013
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- Core Skills Advanced Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- EMDR I and II, EMDR Consulting, Dr. Roy Keissling, 2014
- Sex Addiction Therapist Training (CSAT), International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, 2015
- Feeling-State Addiction Protocol for EMDR, Image Transformation Institute, Dr. Robert Miller, 2016
- Discernment Counseling, Doherty Relationship Institute, 2016
- Multiple Addiction Therapist Training (CMAT), International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, 2017
- The Psychology of Loving Awareness, Dr. Jack Kornfield, 2017
- Sessions Live 2017 and 2019, Esther Perel, 2017, 2019
- Recent-Traumatic Events Protocol/Group-Traumatic Events Protocol (R-TEP/G-TEP), EMDR-HAP, 2018
- Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy (EFIT-1,2), SFCEFT 2020
- Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT-1,2), SFCEFT 2021, EFFT.ORG 2022
- Sex as a Safe Adventure: Connecting Sexually and Emotionally Through EFT, Zoya Simakhoskaya PhD and Michael Moran LCSW, SFCEFT 2021
- EMDRIFS: IFS Informed EMDR (3 Part Video Series), Bruce Hersey, LCSW, 2021
- An Ifio Informed Workshop: Fostering Connection with IFS and EFT in Couples Therapy, Liz Phillips LP, 2022
- Certified Sex Therapist: American Board of Sexology (ABS), 1996
- Certified EMDR Therapist: EMDR International Association (EMDRIA), 2015
- Certified Sex-Addiction Therapist: International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP), 2016
- Certified Multiple-Addiction Therapist: International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP), 2017
- Certified Group Psychotherapist (CGP): American Group Psychotherapy Association’s International Board for Certification of Group Psychotherapists (AGPA), 2018
- Certified Discernment Counselor, Doherty Relationship Institute, 2018
- Certified TeleMental Health Therapist, Zur Institute, 2020
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Academy of Clinical Sexology (AACS)
- American Group Psychotherapy Association (AGPA)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD)
- The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness
- The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH)
- Marketing Chair-Florida Group Psychotherapy Society (2020-present)