Dr. Barbara Winter is a Licensed Psychologist, Sex Therapist, a Diplomate in Clinical Sexology, a Certified Sex-Addiction Therapist and a Certified Practitioner in Eye-Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. She is a fellow and clinical supervisor of the American Board of Sexology. She has post-graduate training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, Discernment Counseling, Hypnosis, Parenting Coordination and Divorce Mediation, and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
Her specialties include Sex Therapy, Couples Counseling and Marital Therapy, Sex and Process Addictions (sex, food, money), Trauma Recovery and Divorce and Co-parent counseling. She has expertise in treating compulsive behaviors and addictions (substance and process−including food, sex and love, gambling, money/work, hoarding, shopping); infidelity, betrayal and all sexual disorders and aspects of sexuality; eating disorders; trauma and dissociation and abuse recovery; anxiety and mood disorders; family issues; separation, divorce, step-parenting, co-parenting and other life transitions; LGBTQ issues; transgender; grief recovery and personality disorders.
In addition to practicing traditional methods of psychodynamic therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, systems therapy and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, Dr. Winter has specialized advanced training in cutting-edge and empirically-based EMDR (certified), hypnotherapy, mindfulness, emotionally focused therapy and is certified in treating sex and process addictions. She is a trained parenting coordinator and mediator.
Her Areas of Specialty Are:
When asked what types of problems she treats, Dr. Winter responds that she treats people, not problems. Regardless of what symptoms you have had or are currently experiencing, no two people are alike nor can the treatment be the same for both. Given this, she firmly believes that a comprehensive base of psychology, including family systems, the medical model, psychodynamic and psychoanalytic psychotherapy models as well as state-of-the-art interventions and a firm knowledge base in relationships, couples and sex therapy are required to assist you in your journey into health and transformation.
There are, nevertheless, particular ingredients that transcend the uniqueness of your stories. These include a climate of safety, non-judgment, sensitivity, empathy, and confidentiality. It is her agenda to not only help you untangle your distressing symptoms but to help you make meaning of your experience.
Celebrating 30 years this year in practice, there is little that Dr. Winter has not seen. She has worked with individuals and couples with a disparity in sexual and relationship issues. Within the therapist-patient frame, it is her goal to guide you toward greater authenticity and self-acceptance.
Through the examination of the self and the pain-points that accompany each and every one of us, we identify the extent to which the past is showing up as a neurotic compromise and to solve the challenges of today.
Dr. Winter has spoken on local and state levels on issues related to managed mental healthcare and participates in a variety of community activities. She has spoken at local hospitals, schools, and community groups and has been an adjunct college professor. She is the past president of the Palm Beach chapter of the Florida Psychological Association as well as Insurance and Hospital practice chair. She was instrumental in the inauguration of Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW) and the Palm Beach County mandatory course for divorcing parents. She is committed to providing a high-quality service to all of her patients.
More recently Dr. Winter has been a guest blogger for Psych Central, The Good Men Project, About.com and featured many times as a local expert in the Boca Raton Observer, Boca Magazine and other national and online publications. Please check out her work as a media consultant.
Dr. Winter is dedicated to helping people achieve personal growth and improve their “emotional, sexual and spiritual health”, increase their capacity to engage in effective interpersonal relationships and procure the tools necessary to live their best life.
- Psychologist, Florida – PY4034, 1988
- PhD in Clinical Psychology, Nova Southeastern University, 1986
- Post-Doctoral Internship, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1987
- Clinical Hypnosis, Miami Institute of Clinical Hypnosis, Dr. Steven Warner, 1992
- Diplomate in Clinical Sexology, American Academy Clinical Sexology, 1996
- Fellow and Clinical Supervisor of Sexology, American Board of Sexology, 1996
- EMDR I and II, Dr. Francine Shapiro, 2007
- Parenting Coordination Training, Dr. Debra Carter, 2010
- Mediation Training, Mediation Training Center, Perry Itkin, 2011
- Gottman Institute Professional Training, Level 1: Couples Therapy, Dr. William Burnberry, 2012
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, ICEEFT, Dr. Sue Johnson, 2013
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- Core Skills Advanced Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- EMDR I and II, EMDR Consulting, Dr. Roy Keissling, 2014
- EMDR Certified, EMDRIA-2015
- Certified Sex Addiction Therapist (CSAT), International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, 2016
- Discernment Counseling, Doherty Relationship Institute, 2016
- Feeling-State Addiction Protocol for EMDR, Image Transformation Institute, Dr. Robert Miller, 2016
- The Psychology of Loving Awareness, Dr. Jack Kornfield, 2017
- Certified Multiple Addictions Therapist (CMAT), International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, 2017
- Recent-Traumatic Events Protocol/Group-Traumatic Events Protocol (R-TEP/G-TEP), EMDR-HAP, 2018
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Board of Sexology (ABS)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD)
- The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness