Dr. Barbara Winter is a Licensed Psychologist, Sex Therapist, a Diplomat in Clinical Sexology, a Certified Sex-Addiction Therapist and a Certified Practitioner in Eye-Movement Desensitization Reprocessing. She is a fellow and clinical supervisor of the American Board of Sexology. She has post-graduate training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, Discernment Counseling, Hypnosis, Parenting Coordination and Divorce Mediation, and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy.
Her specialties include Sex Therapy, Couples Counseling and Marital Therapy, Sex and Process Addictions (sex, food, money), Trauma Recovery and Divorce and Co-parent counseling. She has expertise treating compulsive behaviors and addictions (substance and process−including food, sex and love, gambling, money/work, hoarding, shopping); infidelity, betrayal and all sexual disorders and aspects of sexuality; eating disorders; trauma and dissociation and abuse recovery; anxiety and mood disorders; family issues; separation, divorce, step-parenting, co-parenting and other life transitions; LGBTQ issues; transgender; grief recovery and personality disorders.
In addition to practicing traditional methods of psychodynamic therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, systems therapy and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, Dr. Winter has specialized advanced training in cutting-edge and empirically-based EMDR (certified), hypnotherapy, mindfulness, emotionally focused therapy and is certified in treating sex and process addictions. She is a trained parenting coordinator and mediator.
Her Areas of Specialty Are:
Dr. Winter has spoken on local and state levels on issues related to managed mental healthcare and participates in a variety of community activities. She has spoken at local hospitals, schools and community groups and has been an adjunct college professor. She is the past president of the Palm Beach chapter of the Florida Psychological Association as well as Insurance and Hospital practice chair. She was instrumental in the inauguration of Eating Disorders Awareness Week (EDAW) and the Palm Beach County mandatory course for divorcing parents. She is committed to providing a high quality service to all of her patients.
More recently Dr. Winter has been a guest blogger for The Good Men Project, About.com and featured may times as a local expert in the Boca Raton Observer, Boca Magazine and other national and online publications. Please check-out her work as a media consultant.
Dr. Winter is dedicated to helping people achieve personal growth and improve their “emotional, sexual and spiritual health”, increase their capacity to engage in effective interpersonal relationships and procure the tools necessary to live their best life.
- Psychologist, Florida – PY4034, 1988
- PhD in Clinical Psychology, Nova Southeastern University, 1986
- Post-Doctoral Internship, Case Western University School of Medicine, 1987
- Clinical Hypnosis, Miami Institute of Clinical Hypnosis, Dr. Steven Warner, 1992
- Diplomate in Clinical Sexology, American Academy Clinical Sexology, 1996
- Fellow and Clinical Supervisor of Sexology, American Board of Sexology, 1996
- EMDR I and II, Dr. Francine Shapiro, 2007
- Parenting Coordination Training, Dr. Debra Carter, 2010
- Mediation Training, Mediation Training Center, Perry Itkin, 2011
- Gottman Institute Professional Training, Level 1: Couples Therapy, Dr. William Burnberry, 2012
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, ICEEFT, Dr. Sue Johnson, 2013
- Externship, Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- Core Skills Advanced Training in Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples, EFT Atlanta, Michael Barnett, LPC, 2014
- EMDR I and II, EMDR Consulting, Dr. Roy Keissling, 2014
- EMDR Certified, EMDRIA-2015
- Certified Sex Addiction Therapist, International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, 2016
- Discernment Counseling, Doherty Relationship Institute, 2016
- Feeling-State Addiction Protocol for EMDR, Image Transformation Institute, Dr. Robert Miller, 2016
- The Psychology of Loving Awareness, Dr. Jack Kornfield, 2017
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Board of Sexology (ABS)
- EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
- International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation (ISSTD)
- The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness